Volkswagen has announced its collaboration with Apple, the 'iBeetle', at the 2013 Shanghai Auto Show that includes a newly developed iPhone docking station that integrates the iPhone in vehicle functions via the Beetle app. It will come as an optional feature or as a standard feature of the new iBeetle and iBeetle Cabriolet. In a press release Volkswagen said,
Two iconic products will be forming an alliance later this year: the iPhone from Apple and the Beetle from Volkswagen. From that point on, the smartphone will interface to vehicle functions of the Beetle and Beetle Cabriolet via a specially developed app (“Volkswagen Car Net The Beetle”) and a docking station.
The docking stating is located in the center of the dashboard of the iBeetle. iPhone functions can be used in the Beetle according to the company including navigation, telephone via hands-free, listening to music via the audio system's amplifier and loudspeakers and more.
The Beetle app can connect the iPhone to the Beetle either docked or undocked. As the iPhone connections to the data network of the Beetle it shows a main menu which allows access to the follow options.
- Spotify - Access to the music streaming service, customised playlists, and online radio stations.
- Expert - This app offers G-Meter, oil and coolant temperature gauges for the engine, a chronometer and compass.
- Trainer - Used to compare driving times, distances and fuel economy values for different routes. Tips can be posted to social networks such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Reader - Lets you see the latest messages from your social networks and features an option to read messages out loud.
- Postcard - This lets you send a digital postcard to friends with mad of your current location.
- Photo - Allows you to take a photo of the interior of the vehicle and then sent it to social networks.
- Milestones - This app rewards you with virtual milestones stickers when you complete certain tasks.
The iBeetle will be available at the start of 2014 with advanced sales starting in Octomber 2013. As well as the iPhone integration the iBeetle will also ship with 18-inch “Disc” alloy wheels (painted in “Galvano Grey” with chrome wheel covers), door mirror housings and side trim panels in “Galvano Grey”, black door sill plates with “iBeetle” signature, “iBeetle” chrome badges (front wing in area of the A-pillars) and a “Chrome pack” (includes chrome trim strips on the sides).
The new iBeetle can be ordered in the colours “Candy White”, “Oryx White Mother of Pearl Effect”, “Black Monochrome”, “Deep Black Pearl Effect”, “Platinum Grey” or “Reflex Silver”.